Collections FAQs

How do I sue someone who owes me money?

File a civil claim in the General District Court if it does not exceed $25,000.00 or file in the Circuit Court if your claim exceeds $25,000.00.

What is a Warrant in Debt?

A Warrant in Debt is the paperwork one files in General District Court to bring suit demanding payment for a monetary debt.

If I have a judgment against someone, how can I collect the money?

There are several ways to collect on a judgment. For example, you can garnish the wages of the Defendant, freeze the Defendant‘s bank account of otherwise seize some other asset belonging to the Defendant and have the Sheriff‘s office sell it at auction.